Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Going backwards

I have a couple of things for today and I will do them in separate blogs. The first is an article I saw in the Shawnee News star. This seems to coincide with an article that ran in the Countywide that got a lot of negative replies but all in all I see a lot in the news that shows signs of us backsliding. 
Southern Babtists debate gays civil rights This is the article's content: NEW ORLEANS —
A day after electing their first African-American president, Southern Baptists are considering a resolution opposing the idea that gay rights are civil rights.
The resolution up for a vote Wednesday affirms Southern Baptists' beliefs that marriage is "the exclusive union of one man and one woman" and that "all sexual behavior outside of marriage is sinful."
It acknowledges that gays and lesbians sometimes experience "unique struggles" but declares that they lack the "distinguishing features of classes entitled to special protections."
"It is regrettable that homosexual rights activists and those who are promoting the recognition of 'same-sex marriage' have misappropriated the rhetoric of the Civil Rights Movement," the resolution states
The article I saw in the Countywide I apparently missed and I tried to go back and find it but haven't yet but I am still looking. The idea I got from the content of the disgruntled letters though is that it was about a couple that one woman had breast cancer and the other was worried about the lack of rights she had because they were not married. The writers were complaining about everything from saying she would have just as many rights as someone who wasn't (I have to disagree there....having been through some experiences myself I can vouch that unless you are married or related by blood they do give you shit) Plus if the woman with cancer were to die her mate would be up against family when figuring out what to do with her estate. Even heterosexual couples that are together for long enough can be considered in some states as common law and yet they don't extend anything similar to lesbian or gay couples. Now we have the Southern Babtist church who just elected their first black official (step forward) and are now proclaiming they don't believe in the civil rights of BLGT. (Two steps back) ....so in other words led by someone whose ancestors had to fight their asses off is wanting to deny some of those same rights to others. 
On top of all of this I see the Catholic churches taking over hospitals (They recently took over our local one) and are denying procedures such as sterilizations, hysterectomies (which I am likely going to need eventually though I am putting it off due to too much other stuff going on and I've all ready had the tubal thankfully ....if I'd have waited much longer I'd have been denied that as well) and of course abortions which our hospital didn't do anyway...To me they almost seem to be trying to pull one over with that part of it. I hear a lot of if you don't like it go to another hospital....well I live in the Bible belt and there aren't a lot of non religious affiliated hospitals AND the ones that did all of this before are being taken over by the Catholic churches (a church with a lot of money to do this) They've been sticking their fingers in the political pots lately as well as other churches. 
Then they all proclaim this country is founded on Christian beliefs...erm actually no and guess what ...they weren't here first either. Though I've noticed more and more (thankfully) the tribes that were here first are starting to rise in strength and get more involved in politics and are being recognized. 
Anyway so now I'm also seeing a LOT of what appears to be Women's rights backsliding. I've even been hearing that they want to do away with our right to vote again...erm yeah I don't see that one happening but I've also seen weirder things. They recently had two representatives speaking out for the people they represent and were shushed due to the use of the word Vagina for the entire rest of the session. It's a medical term....you really don't want to piss the women off ...you will get that term and a whole list of a kazillion other ways to say it...oh wait you all ready have. :) 
It sickens me that like I said in my own local paper the public reamed them for even publishing an article on a lesbian couple. Saying it had no place in a small town like this and they were losing readers due to it and had fallen victim to the liberals...WTF are we really that backwards??!!!!! 
This is what I see when I see the Christians saying they are being persecuted...who is doing all the persecuting? I do have Christian friends that are not like that and I hate using it as a blanket term ...when I say this please understand I am talking about the ones that are saying we have to act under THEIR religion. That no one else has any rights. By the way another thing I see is that they are the only ones with morals...try again. Morals are not exclusive to Christians only. It seems as well that they only start quoting the bible to fit whatever point of view they personally want to get across. It gets skewed easily and twisted and I've seen that more and more. This is why I quit walking that path a long time ago. I didn't want to be part of the ones who look down their nose at everyone else while at the same time wanting recognition for doing service for others. There are some who genuinely want to do those services for the right reasons but there are all too many who only do it with hope of conversion or for the recognition. They will tell you they don't but they use it for advertisement of their church. (What is that be humble? Oh yeah we forgot that part) Anyways my rant for the day ...or one of them. I hate to feel that way but I see it constantly and it so irritates me. I think that is why I perceive that portion of the Christians no matter what church they hail from ..as fakes. Acceptance is low in that community.... just because someone is different doesn't mean you need to change them to fit your image of what is right or deny them the same rights you have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment