Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2012

Catalogs Reviews: Part 1.

 one of my drawings 


For some reason I've always enjoyed perusing catalogs. I guess I'm a bit of a daydreamer. I recently decided to send off for a bunch of free ones and see what they were like. The site I used is Catalog Monster. I thought it might be kind of fun to review them. I didn't order every single catalog by the way though it may seem like it LOL. Just the ones I thought I would find interesting to look through and see if they are places I might eventually be interested in ordering from. The first ones I received contained some really pricey items. Anyway here goes...*and I will include the links to the sites if possible in case anyone is interested in these for themselves...

Magic Kitchen  This one is a prepared meal site. It proclaims to be good for senior citizens which is what had caught my attention and I wanted to see what they had to offer and about the cost as it may have been something my Mom might have been interested in but to be honest it seems a bit pricey. Not sure of the quality of the meals...they may be quite good but to me seemed to resemble tv dinners. Though you do have the option of choosing a selection based on like if you are watching your salt intake or cholesterol then you can choose a "set" of meals that keep that in mind. One "set" for example is the One serving meals selection number 1...
Chicken marsala, Mashed potatoes
Spinach Mushroom lasagna
Beef with Bordelaise sauce, Rice with mixed vegetables
Shrimp fettucini alfredo, Verdura flatbread
(then this repeats so apparently 2 of each) 
then for dessert 
Tiramasu
Chocolate Ganache cake

This in single servings is $135.99 (plus shipping) and again these to me resemble the type of meals you would find in your freezer section at the grocery store....so really if it is something you are interested in and in your price range check it out but I believe in our situation this is just not something that would save any of us any money or really be anything my Mom would be interested in. 

Catalog 2.
Mark T. Wendell Tea Company  Now this one is more my style. I enjoy tea and I enjoy different flavors. One of my favorites is Orange spice though I like some variety. This one, while a bit above my price range for the most part, seems more reasonable in what they ask. This looks to me like some high quality tea though I've not had a chance to try any and they also offer supplies such as diffusers and tea pots. Some examples of prices are 2" Snap Mesh Tea Ball spoon $3.25 Finum Tea Control Teapots: $25.00-$27.00
Pheonix and dragon teapot with 2 cups $52.00 and I saw teas ranging anywhere from $5 something for some fruit varieties to $36.00 for some of the loose teas. A bit of something for everyone I think.

Catalog 3. 
Cabela's Garden Harvest
Now this one is for the named catalog specifically though the link leads to where pretty much all of Cabela's catalogs are. I have ordered a few different ones from there. This one really was pretty reasonable while still above my price range I could see spending the amounts asked for on the items. This one in particular was mostly based around meat processing, drying, and seasonings. I swear I think you could open your own meat processing/sausage/jerky type set up with this stuff. :P 
Anyway check it out. I might hang on to this one.

Catalog 4. 
Pioneer Linens 
Okay this one...I have to admit the first page really makes me wonder about some people. Yes I can see spending money on things that mean a lot to you, things that are of good quality, etc....But why..WHY would you spend $965 on your bathroom wastebasket? WTF. Why would you have a wastebasket (one of those itty bitty things) designed in lead crystal with gold leaves etched in and spend that much on it. It is a wastebasket....to hold waste....trash...   I so don't understand. Sheets....maybe but they'd better be some several hundred thread nice ass sheet but a frigging trash can? Their sheets were actually cheaper. Like $600 or so for some of them. More than anything I'd ever spend but something I can sort of understand. The toilet paper holder I saw in there was $60.00  Their laundry soaps and sprays were actually a decent price. Anyway I didn't really find anything that suited my taste in there. Someone else might though...not me LOL :) 

Anyway I have a ton more coming and I am oddly enough finding that kinda fun. There are a few really interesting ones I am really excited about but haven't gotten those yet. Guess it is like a form of window shopping plus sometimes you can get ideas for things that you can do for way cheaper without sacrificing all the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment