Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2014

additional thoughts...on change

For whatever reason I seem to be into this deep thinking thing but I promise once I get it out of my system I'll go back to my daily life stuff and all that sort of thing. 
I had some additional thoughts to add to what I was saying yesterday. This is in relation to the religion half of it just in that is what got me started down this particular path of thinking but the subject really is about any large lifestyle change. (as in a lifestyle change that affects not only you but everyone in your circles either friends or family  or coworkers etc because it is such a large change) Change again can be good or bad but sometimes it is the way a person goes about this change and what they are actually getting from it. If it is something that is meant to bring about good change and you are meant to gain a new found sense of self or spiritualism or health etc I think if you dive in head first you are less likely to be that person that actually gains what you are doing it for. Not that you CAN'T gain from it but saying if you are using it for show or as a bandaid to fix some hole in your life you are likely to miss the greater lessons it may have to give. Now there are things like my change to gluten free...it wasn't to follow a fad though many do. It was a life saver because I am allergic to wheat and wheat and gluten are so directly tied to each other. Pretty much it is the same diet. For me that was a life saver because I'd found the source of some major health problems and breathing issues and my stomach has done a ton better...etc...anyway so sometimes there are large changes like that...However...I tried to minimalize the affect it had on my family etc as much as possible. We did end up making some changes at home and my husband has perfected fried chicken using gluten free flour that I think tastes better than any fast food place...but I am not asking them to make dietary changes as well. They don't need to. Granted that only partially relates to what I am talking about but I thought it related enough to go here. In any case The changes I am more talking about are the ones where instead of adding new pieces to that lifestyle...new friends...new places you like to go...etc You pretty much become unrecognizable. I find it hard to explain properly but basically you see the traits in the person that you might see in an addict. Someone that again is using that change as a bandaid or cover up for problems they may have in their life. Those people may still be able with time to gain valuable life lessons from that change but they also run a risk of burning out before they even start because they are expecting a quick fix and it didn't do it for them. Especially when they expect this change to change everything else around them. I've seen people who think their own changes (which might have been otherwise positive)  provided them validation to become judge, jury, and executioner for anyone else. That is where I think change presents a problem and that is what I was trying to get to with this statement. It gives the appearance that the person or people think they are suddenly now above everyone around them though they may have not long ago been those people that are being looked down upon. It is like they seem to think if they show compassion or identify with those people who remind them of who they used to be the will suddenly be out of the "cool kids club" they seem to think they belong to now. If you are in it for the club like atmosphere you are not in it for your own personal growth. It is really not a positive change when you see that in a person. For those people I hope that they find their footing and stop their road to burn out and actually learn the lessons and gain positive enlightenment from the changes they have made. It is possible to have/learn those and keep the changes just with out the persecution of those around you who made maybe different changes or chose their own path. Your path is yours not everyone's. Slow it down a notch and I think it'll be okay. Hard to see the sights when you are going full throttle. (sorry if I sound cryptic but I'd been seeing some of this and I wanted to get my thoughts on it out there) 
 Sadly some people will only  hear "blah blah blah ...don't like changes...against changes...blah blah blah..." and not hear what is actually being said. I know people like this. Changes are okay just don't go so crazy with them all at once and condemn everyone else for not making the same choices you did. 

3 comments:

  1. I think I understand what you're saying Jana and I totally agree! My thought.... live changes. It's a constant... and happens with or without our approval; Ideally, adjusting and benefiting from the changes... and of course, there will always be the feigned pious ready to condemn and flaunt their self righteousness.

    I experienced this just recently at a family reunion from one particular relative and his family. I've nicknamed them the Pharisees. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw... I love the background on your blog. Have a great day!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks :) I had just noticed I had comments LOL I thought it would notify me or something so I apologize for not getting back to reply sooner. Yep that is exactly what I am getting at. I've seen several lately and it drives me nuts. I was like the changes they claimed to make hasn't even had time to take hold yet and yet they seemed to think it was their ticket to stand on a pedestal and condemn everyone around them even those who were pretty much themselves a few years back. It was sad to see.

    ReplyDelete