Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

a bit of a rave about online school and other mumbo jumbo

I am really kind of enjoying this fall like weather. Though it is making me sleepy all the time it feels like. I should be using it to do some serious before school starts cleaning but am finding it hard to motivate. I'm getting a few things done though. I need to start organizing my craft supplies and such because I plan on working on them pretty seriously when it does start. My son still has like a month left til his school starts. He's been pretty into the video games and doing some photography for the most part. He's kinda gotten into the whole making things with the special print duct tape too. He made a bag and put a 4 leaf clover on it (sealed the 4 leaf clover in clear tape so it would keep) we get those all over our yard. 


 bag he made.
He's made a full satchel before too. He's pretty good with the duct tape. 
Every year we give him the option of back to regular school or online and so far he is adamant about preferring online. I am grateful we do have some good online public school choices. Advanced Academics was our choice and Epic Charter is one of the schools that teaches through them. They are based out of OKC. There are several participating schools and I've had a lot of friends asking for info on the schools as well as a lot of people who actually are using one of the many online public schools due to how much bullying is a problem in public schools. It is a pretty rampant problem. For those worried about social interaction there are plenty of ways to keep the kids socially active and the schools themselves offer many options. Some other benefits are that you can do the schooling any time of the day so if you have like a drs appt you don't have to worry about missing school it can be made up later that day. There is always teachers assistance when they need it (live either via phone or via online chat) etc. Can't say enough good things about it though you do have to make sure you are checking in and seeing that they are getting their work turned in. Some parents may think they can just turn them loose with it and not worry about it and maybe some can but it is best to stay very involved. You need to stay up on whether they need help with something and to make sure they are keeping up with their goals with it. ....
Anyway enough about that. 
One of my goals I am setting is besides just getting a lot more crafting/painting done to learn more about how to knit/crochet (with the hook not just with the looms though I have a couple of projects set up to do with the looms) Sometimes I find something I do rather well with self teaching and that seems to be one of the things. 
I also want to say I appreciate the good luck. (and yeah I thank my higher power for this) Sometimes when there is something we need or that I really feel will be beneficial ...something I feel a need to set out looking for we will go by the thrift store and there it is. This last time it was knee pads for my youngest. She seems out to tear her poor knees up. She is accident prone when it comes to that and she really likes to ride her scooter while her brother rides his bike. She can tear them up though even just running doesn't matter so I really wanted to get her some knee pads and lo and behold there they were along with elbow pads. So now she has to wear those when we go for our walks. Maybe she'll have some knees left when school starts ;) We lucked out finding her school clothes. I found my son a shirt but he can be harder to shop for. One because of him being very tall and lanky (seems a family problem about that age we all went through it. I don't have that problem now though LOL...well never had the tall part of it) anyway...and he HATES to try clothes on. He really could care less. I have to fish stuff out of his closet that he's outgrown because he refuses. I have found he likes those funny T-shirts with the sayings though so maybe I can get him to try on some pants if he can get some of those with them. I dunno. He really hates trying them on that much LOL. My youngest doesn't like to try them on either but with her I tried an outfit on her with a puppy on it first and she got all excited about that so that helped. I have a morning kit I put together for her with her detangling spray, brush, and hair bows and such. Only time she really doesn't mind her hair done as much is for school. I guess my oldest liked the way I cut her hair as I've had a request to do hers here soon.I do all my family's....  get requests from my mom and MIL and have done it for friends but I always worry about messing up with it. Not doing it how they like or something. 
I think another thing I'd like to do when school starts is to go to the gym but not sure if I can swing that $ wise but would be nice. Maybe I can start doing my dancing at home again during the day or something. That always seemed to do the most for me. The stretches I do with my dancing are the ones I need to do for my achilles anyway too. 
Anyway I need to actually go get some stuff done instead of just talking about it. ;) So off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment