Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2012

and it never seems to end

While we are still reeling from everything else on Tues. my mom had an eye dr. appt. The day before that I knew something was off. My aunt and her daughter had come down and I knew my Mom was so excited to see them but she stayed in her room and was very lethargic. I tried to get her to come outside to the front porch because the temp outside was fairly decent at the time. They went and got chocolate milkshakes for everyone and she took hers in her room but still wouldn't come in the living room but for a short time period and didn't seem herself at all. I was becoming concerned then and that night my son stayed over there and then the next day my husband went over to take her in to the eye dr and came back and said that she'd said she had told me to cancel it. (I didn't remember her saying that really.) I called her and was trying to ask her about that and she wasn't really answering and I started asking her if she was ok. She didn't reply and I repeated it with no reply still so I ran over and she was laying back on the bed and she sat up a bit and looked at the phone and had this expression like she had no idea why she was holding it. She laid it down beside her and laid back and acted like she was asleep so I was freaking. I kept saying Mom are you ok? She finally replied enough to tell me her stomach was hurting and enough to tell me she did not want me to call 911 or have my husband take her to the ER. I finally left her for a few when she seemed ok enough for that and I called my bro (for support), tried to contact my aunt and cousin but they'd all ready left to go back to Arizona (I had thought they were coming back to visit that day and maybe could help me get her to go in) and then finally her dr. though the dr. was out due to a death in her family. I did tell them what was going on though and I went and poked my head in a couple of times to keep checking on her and then after about an hour had passed I went over and found that she'd turned her A/C off. (Has never shut off again) and she was sitting on the edge of her bed shaking and finally told me she wanted to go in (at this point I'd decided she was going in anyway just helped for her to go willingly) so I asked if she wanted my husband to take her or for me to call 911 and she wouldn't reply (at this point I wasn't thinking too clearly myself I was frantic) So I ran and got my husband and he pulled the vehicle around front while I tried to get Mom ready but she at this point was only partially dressed and she went and laid back down on her bed. I finally just called 911 and he went and flagged them down. They came in (at this point the house was kind of hot from her having her air off for even that short time though I'd turned the a/c back on) I told them everything to that point and they could not get her to respond to them except for sporadically and they were incomplete answers. At one point she told them she had COPD and she doesn't. But mostly she wasn't answering at all so they started asking me questions and I gave them all the information that I could especially about her past history with her Crohn's disease and surgeries and emergency room visits related to it. They wrote it all down on a glove and took her in. She was experiencing a lot of illness with it as well as the pain and it had ended up making her dehydrated. My son told me she had also turned the air off once the night before when he was there. I told him to watch for that and he also mentioned that she had been not replying to him a lot either (though she hadn't really done that as much with us) So she went in and stayed from Tues through Thurs and they finally released her and she is more coherent than she was but is having lapses a lot. When we cleaned her house we found a lot out of place and I later found out the microwave should have been checked as well as she had been putting all the food we gave her in her fridge and wasn't really eating it. While in the hospital she was incoherent the first couple of days and then started talking more but she had not been able to reply to anything for awhile. I stayed in touch with the nurses and would call when they changed shifts to get updates. I also called her dr. and kept them posted and I have been so upset and unnerved by this I called and talked to May's to see about having their nurses come out again and while the hospital didn't approve it at first her dr. did so they will be coming out. Her cousin that she'd not seen in over 20 years came down and saw her while she was in the hospital and said she was telling her things like my husband worked at Sonic. (He doesn't my brother in law owns/manages a few of them in SC) that the nurses told her (mom's cousin) that she'd been refusing to eat while there and Mom was telling everyone no one had fed her and she didn't have a phone there (My husband saw a phone in her room and every room has one) There is just enough out of place with her to be noticeable.  At this point my Mom even agrees that she may have had a stroke. I have had a mini one myself and I know how out of sorts that made me. I had to use a cane for a long while to walk, took me awhile to talk properly (I still have a deviated tongue from it and you can kind of see what side of my face was affected in pictures. When I smile that side doesn't work quite right though it is a ton better than it was) so I can only imagine what this may have done with her. They can affect different people different ways. Also from the symptoms she is still having since she left the hospital I am afraid that part of her bowel may be ischemic again. (No blood flow/dead bowel) She had that happen before and she is still experiencing a lot of problems. They had all ready told her there was a partial blockage. I am going to be letting her dr. know about all of this. She is also having headaches today and all. There is just so much going on. When I was a kid about 8 or 9 I had to help take care of my own grandma like this. I never knew my grandparents on my Dad's side. I knew my grandpa for a short time. He passed when I was around 7. He'd had a massive stroke on top of other health issues and was finally placed in a nursing home and my grandma was abusing prescription medication (Not sure if intentional or not because when you wind up with a kazillion meds to take and have to remember what is what and your at that age when your memory starts to go ....it can become too much. Anyway she was hospitalized for that for awhile and I had to grandma-sit and then after awhile she would become very ill and we'd go over and I'd have to clean her house and clean up after the dogs she had (chihuahas and a pit I think though the pit was removed sometime after) anyways Mom would have to clean grandma up and have to keep track of her. I think my brother was having to do a lot of that as well with her. My grandma finally passed in her sleep one night and I think either a neighbor or my mom had gone in and found her. She was also living on her own at the time. I live right here so I am able to go check on her all through the day and then also one of us can stay with her (My son loves to stay over there with her a lot) thankfully this isn't to that degree that it was with my grandma and it is for different reasons but I guess I can say I've had the experience in a way. I am still kind of scared and nerve wracked though. Plus after so many losses in different ways here lately it is rough. We also found out my daughter's boyfriend (The oldest of the kids still living at home) is moving away to another state so she is struggling with that. Hoping to keep the two in touch as much as we can so it won't be as hard. She plans to move there and do college after she finishes school. She suffers anxiety attacks when away from home some (not agoraphobia like mine but more like if she stays over night somewhere else it triggers them) So hopefully can work on that as well before then.  I may write more later but for now I have to go take care of some other things for my Mom. I do see some light at the end of the tunnel though maybe.... though  I did find out a few minutes ago that she told my son the dr told her there is a hole trying to form in her intestines. Which could be deadly and if that is true WTF are they doing having her home??!!! I am definitely going to be talking to her regular dr. O.O :( Well so much for that light but keeping hope anyway. I was going to say I think I may have found a program that will help her with not only nursing but home care as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment