Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April showers





Well we made it through the weekend of doooooooommmmmmm unscathed. There was a large tornado outbreak set to happen and the worst we got where we live was some straight line winds and hail and the sirens went off once when a tornado went around from Norman to Shawnee. (I don't think it even did any damage in Shawnee but it did in Norman) We did see this as an opportunity to learn and have realized we need to rethink our emergency bags. I also need to hopefully get my kids to understand that things like makeup kit and radio are not essentials. On another note looks like we get to keep our little garden a while longer...yayyyyyy! Hopefully long enough to get some veggies from it all. Last time we had a decent garden we weren't so lucky and got hit by a tornado and lost it all but an easter egg plant. Looks like we get another swing at a tornado around the first week of May. I am torn...I love stormy weather and sometimes wish I'd taken up storm chasing ...yet I don't want to see anyone hurt of course. Anyway. 


Our latest project that I hope to start on soon is a compost bin. Double sided so that you let the one side settle for a year while you use the other. Not a hard project really just have to find the time. Today I spent mowing and doing yard work. We have found that if you have alarms on your doors the cops will assume you must have something to hide even if you don't especially if your house is not this glamorous nice looking one since of course you must not have nice things either or things that are of value at least to you. Note to anyone else who uses alarms on their doors....or locks. We keep them on damned near everything. Even our chicken coop because we caught someone getting into it and messing with our chickens. They had even torn their roost down once so yeah. Locks everywhere. Anways just a note there. We have been drooling over like an underground storage thing but too costly and no way to do that. People are now buying up shipping containers to do that with. Would make a nice tornado shelter/root cellar. I will say though that this funky weather is playing nice with my roses. They are blooming now more than ever before and are absolutely beautiful. 


 I am doing a bit of a fun earthquake prediction experiment also. My first test kinda failed. We were having a decent sized quake every other night (3.0-4.0) and I thought we might have one last night but we broke the pattern and had absolutely nothing. My 2nd test is my chickens have been laying only 1 egg on the days that we have those size of a quake. Well last night despite my following the pattern ...they laid 4 so now following their pattern if that is correct then tonight we should have one. We had a really small 1.something earlier so now I am just going to wait and check on that tomorrow. The funny thing is this all started with an odd wrinkled egg. 

Only had the one like that...wrinkled eggs can be caused for a number of reasons though in this case stress seems to have been the cause... and then they started this pattern of only giving us one egg on the nights with the decent sized quakes. They had been laying like clockwork and producing about 5-6 eggs a day before that except for of course when we had the other bigger quakes....so anyway. Like I said just a fun experiment nothing serious but I will be interested if we do in fact have another larger one tonight. The one we had a couple of nights ago was a 4.0.  Will try to remember to post what I find on that :) For now I am off to go draw some I think and listen to some music. Trying to unwind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment