Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Animal die offs in the news


I've been following this with continued curiosity and remember several stories from the last year in which there were massive fish die off with pictures that when posted looked like a close up shot of a highway until you realize you are looking at fish not asphalt. I had been interested in it then. Now with this seeming to escalate as more stories emerge much closer together and the world paying attention (possibly more so than in previous months during the other stories) I decided to do more research on it. I am absolutely fascinated sometimes by stories such as these and sort of dive into them. I found several compilations of the recent die offs. Here is one compilation with links to news articles world wide. http://www.eutimes.net/2011/01/birds-and-fish-are-now-dying-all-around-the-world/comment-page-1/ I went through and was reading them and I have seen numerous theories. Some far fetched and some more down to earth. Some that were come up with via the professionals sounded really to me like they were reaching. Like the fireworks...really? They expect the public to buy that one? People have been setting off fireworks for who knows how long with nothing like this happening. This also does not explain the fish kills and other species. Now if this were one event happening then it may not raise my eyebrows but it is happening world wide at an alarming rate. My own theory (whether far fetched or not is up to you to decide and I would love to hear other theories by the way) is this. I had heard about the theory of the poles shifting before. When I started hearing how some of the birds allegedly slammed into a power line (over 500 birds at once) I though wow really? Then I thought you know I did have an idea of something that may cause something like that to happen even if it did sound odd. Birds travel using the earths magnetic fields *This description from About.com describes it a little better: Magnetic Sensing: Many birds have special chemicals or compounds in their brains, eyes or bills that help them sense the Earth's magnetic field. This helps the birds orient themselves for long journeys. I enjoy reading up on most things involving science (that is unless they involve mathmatics and I lose interest faster than....ooh look a kitty.  You get the idea.) Anyways so if something is wrong in that department that might explain why they were drawn to a power line or something with an electric current. Then I sort of formed my theory out of that idea. Other species that use that to navigate include fish which are also involved in the mass die offs.


I found this statement in an article. Can't remember which one I just copied and saved it so I could find it. Should have saved the link too. The movement of the Earth's north magnetic pole towards Siberia are caused by rapid changes in the magnetism of the planet's core.The latest changes are the most dramatic in a century - the pole had been begun moving to the northeast at about 9 miles per year in 1904 but since 2007 has been racing towards Siberia by at least 35 miles each year.
Something else I saw pointed out in a comment. If the deaths were suspected to be caused by fireworks why were the workers wearing protective suits and gas masks to collect the dead birds? I add to this. I can understand precaution but if the mass die offs are common as they have stated over and over ....and yes I can see that they might be but much fewer and farther between not all happening so closely together like they are now...but if this is something they are commonly used to dealing with then would they not be wearing more like rubber gloves maybe and a paper mask type filter that you would normally see? I have to admit. I find this odd. That to me says that they are not as used to dealing with this as they say and are being more cautious than they normally would. Even if they were worried about disease. Maybe bird flu was a fear?


Then comes out the story about the FL. airport having to shut down so they could reconfigure their runways to allow for the magnetic pole shifting enough that they needed to adjust to realign with it. We have a compass that was given to my son that is out of an airplane and just out of curiosity tested it and yes it is different. As is another one my husband had and used just to double check. If it is changing at a much faster rate 9mpy vs. 35 mpy is actually quite a difference.
I think this may have a bearing on our wildlife, weather, and the earthquakes we are now experiencing more.
I have found several articles where they felt at first the Madrid Fault line was dying but now have rethought this as the earthquakes along the area have actually increased and now think it may be quite the opposite. That it may be waking up. FEMA has issued a statement that in the 200 year anniversary of it last going off they want people to be prepared as part of their new years resolutions.
http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=53401


Really I will listen to what people say, articles, etc but I don't sit there and take it all for fact. I research it myself to gather my own information and make sure to check many different resources. I think that is what anyone should do. Look things up for themselves and decide for themselves what they think or how they feel about any given situation. Don't rely on others to tell you what to think or feel.
To me I feel we are up for some very big changes. These are likely changes the world has experienced before we just weren't around to really see or experience them for ourselves and while there are records of some of these changes that is not quite the same as us being there to know what it feels like or things that may not be down on paper if that makes sense. The earth is a constantly evolving and changing planet and we are only a blip in the time line. We tend to forget that. People tend to not look at the bigger picture sometimes and act like we are the only species that matters when that is far from the truth. I may post more on this later.
Sometimes I just like to put all this in writing especially when I have a line of thought like this that sort of sticks in my head or that I am just interested in.


*I had to add this from the national wildlife federation website...This to me is a far cry from "Common" Still says unusual. Sounds like they are looking at each case individually which would be fine except for the larger picture says another story to me. It does say though that they are continuing to look into it.  There is this map also on google maps the 2nd link posted is from the national wildlife association
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201817256339889828327.0004991bca25af104a22b
This one is supposedly more updated

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&vps=1&jsv=304e&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214033381917754770249.00049914669207a782c3e
The National Wildlife Federation has been following those reports of mysterious bird & fish deaths in Arkansas & Louisiana. Dr. Doug Inkley, NWF senior scientist, appeared on CNN’s American Morning today to discuss the incident, saying it’s unusual but not unheard of:
....
http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/map/mortality_events.jsp

2 comments:

  1. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/is-this-the-end-of-migration-1947724.html < link to an article on changing climate and migration. I think the climate changes may also be related to pole shift rather than global warming. I just also realized that my blog is looking all screwy now. :/

    ReplyDelete