Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Eggs coming out our ears!!

 some of our first eggs (the brown ones...later we got green and blue) 




I had mentioned we have some pretty decent egg production going with the 6 hens and we needed a way to store them efficiently. I would like to direct you to this lady's blog which I found by accident but I had watched that new show "Preppers" and I thought her idea was great about using mineral oil on the eggs and my hubby went to the store and was looking at baby oil which is the same thing only scented so I looked it up and sure enough I completely by accident came across the blog of the person I heard about this from. :) She goes into more detail and I do know that you do not have to store freshly laid eggs in the refrigerator. That you do want to do that with store bought on the other hand as they are likely much older. Anyway here is her link :) preserving eggs in mineral oil. I plan to check her other blogs for canning information as she seemed to have a lot of good ideas. 
the short version is you basically want to coat the eggs in mineral oil and they can last up to 9 months. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment